Thursday, July 13, 2006

gh-ee-tt-oo Fabulous!

Last night some of the teachers held a going away party for me. To get to this restaurant we had to catch a shuttle bus from the train station. The 5 of us barely fit into this tiny, Japanese minivan driven by this nice old man who, on the way home, suggested I should marry him. (After thinking long and hard, I have decided to decline his offer). The restaurant was unlike any I had ever been to in Japan. It was in the basement, and as you were walking down, the walls were covered in a decoritive painted design that looked a little like aboriginal art. We wound our way through the tiny restaurant to the VERY back room where our table was. Unfortunately there was no tomato juice so I had to settle for pineapple juice. (note: pineapple juice does not go very well with raw fish). When we were ready to order we found out that we had to go upstairs to where this little old lady and man were and pick out our food. Some of the food looked a little, well, unappetizing. There was a fish there that looked like it was having a very BAD day. We later saw that fish at our table downstairs, but I didn't eat any of it. So, we picked out our dishes, as the little old Japanese lady kept putting samples into our hands. It actually tasted a lot better than it looked. And at the end of the night I got a bouquet of flowers from the teachers. There is good things to be said about ghetto fabulous places!

2 Comments:

Blogger Fuzz said...

Hi Shiona, it sounds like you've had a great time in Nishinomiya. I teach up at Kwansei Gakuin junior high school, near Kotoen station. I was surfing the web for other nishinomiya blogs and found yours. I just went to my first Tigers game last week, too. Seeing 20,000 balloons set off at once is amazing, isn't it? Have a safe trip home, Jeff

11:02 PM  
Blogger Tam said...

Hmmm... and still no signs of food poisoning?

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home