Friday, July 07, 2006

Hanshin Tigers

Yesterday was my first time to have the experience of a Hanshin Tigers game. Koshien stadium is about 15 minutes by foot from my house and is famous in this area. It is a landmark. The stadium is covered in ivy and the team that plays there is called the Hanshin Tigers. Fans of the Hanshin Tigers are said to be the most wild and dedicated in Japan. Everyone comes decked out in Tigers attire and they all have noise makers. Everyone knows the same cheers and when to sing them and when to stop. Everyone knows that in the 7th inning AND at the end of the game you are supposed to blow up balloons and let them go together. Hanshin Tigers fans are like family. So, after getting 2 free tickets from a friend, Katie and I, wearing our matching Hanshin Tigers outfits (NOT on purpose, but we looked pretty darn cute!), went to the game.

Katie and I in front of Koshien Stadium

Our matching T-shirts. The back says,
"Whether we win or lose, always a Tigers fan."


The Game


True Tigers Fans

Even in the rain!

The 7th Inning!! We blew up our balloons and let them go! Then, towards the end of the game, we noticed people blowing up MORE balloons and realized we were supposed to save some for the end. So there we sat, balloon-less at the end of the game. Katie suggested picking some up from off the ground, but I didn't think that was very hygienic.
What a great game though! The Tigers beat Yokohama Bay 2-1! Woo-hoo! I am proud to be a Hanshin Tigers fan. Even if it was only my first game.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the new pictures!! Hey can you email the picture we took of all of us at the Seelen's before we left Japan? My computer crashed so I lost ours! THANKS!!

1:39 AM  
Blogger JasonC said...

Um... does Katie really own an pink Hanshin Tigers purse?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Shio-chan said...

yep, it's true. It does go well with the pink Hanshin Tigers outfit though.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Tam said...

That is SO adorable! And props to you for going to a baseball game! If (when?) I live in Seattle you are SO going to a Mariner's game with me--- and then you can tell all of your Japanese students that you saw Ichiro!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Shio-chan said...

I already saw Ichiro! And I have his picture and have been telling all my students he was my boyfriend. I don't think they beleived me though.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Tam said...

That's awesome. Ichiro should totally be your boyfriend. But you'll still come to games with me, right?

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home