Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Infectious Disease, who me?

Today was my first venture to the hospital, alone, without ANY interpreter. But, I was well equipped. I had not just one, but two Japanese phrase books. I had my hospital card and enough money. And if they doubted I needed to see a doctor, all they would have to do is look at both of my red, swollen eyes and know something was wrong. I arrived (45 minutes before it opened) and then sat in the area where other people were waiting (this turned out to be the wrong area). Finally by 8:30, I found the correct waiting area, went up to the front desk and repeated the phrase I had been practicing from my phrase book for the last 45 minutes; "o-isha san ni mite morai tai desu" (I want to see a doctor). The two ladies at the front desk looked at me and then looked at eachother and looked at me as I repeated it again. They still did not get it. I thought about it, spoke slower and more clearly and said it again. Finally I gave up and said one simple word which they understood; "doctor". I went upstairs to the waiting room where I was by far the youngest one there. I don't think they are as private here as in America because one nurse was changing an old man's guaze which he had over his eye, right in the waiting room. All this while all the little old ladies watched her with great interest. And of course afterwards, they all began talking about their different ailments and how they knew somebody who knew somebody else with that same infection and giving all the advice they could. As for me, I felt a bit odd. Both of my eyes were swollen and bright red. I looked like a "huge contagious infection" who spoke only English. But after I saw the doctor, who in English told me I had a viral infection and needed to be absent from school for 10 days, things got better. Well, that was really only because I got medicine and was allowed to leave. A whole day worth of adventure packed into 2 hours. Whew! I'm tired.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

I looooove you too, queso. Infected queso.

I wish I had to stay home for a week :)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Katie! said...

Quit calling it a viral infection...you have pink eye.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

Dude, Clinton has pink eye.

Hmmmm...

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home