Saturday, June 03, 2006

the BEST trip EVER

Being June, it means that it is the time when all schools in Japan take their annual school trips. It was only 4 days ago that I set out for Omihachiman with 381 Japanese teenage girls. What an adventure! In the bus the students mostly slept, or sang and to my surprise I heard sounds of sheep coming from the back of the bus. When we got there it was beautiful! Our hotel was on lake Biwako. This is one of three of the oldest lakes in the world. The other two are in Russia and Saudi Arabia. The scenery was gorgeous! Much different than Osaka or Kobe.

On our way up there we stopped at and hiked up this mountain. It was pretty, and great exercise. Our guide was an 81 year old man who was in better shape than all of us and who, every 5 minutes, stopped to tell us the history of the place. Too bad I couldn't understand what he was saying. I don't think the students particularly enjoyed it, except maybe for the way down. Beautiful view though.

When we arrived, the students had bath time. Of course, like last year, I was on bath duty. This was a very interesting venture, trying to get 381 girls to shower in 2 hours. We were exhausted by the end. Fortunately the food was great and I went back into my room only to discover snacks in my hotel room and tea in the fridge. What a surprise! Japanese "service" is great!
The next day we had "sports time" where they did relays and we played dodgeball. The students beat the teachers in like 3 minutes! Sad day. That night we had a big campfire by the beach and each class (there are 10 in all) performed a dance they had created. Some of the classes told a scary story instead (of course, I couldn't understand) but we had some kids crying in the end. I sometimes forget they are only 13 and 14 years old and they're girls so...
The teachers performed a skit at the end too. I was the "strong woman". Oh yeah, it was cool. I felt strong, the kids clapped, it was fun.
The last day we did our morning exercise by the lake and then packed up to leave. On our way back home we stopped by two museums. They were pretty interesting and the scenery was nice. One also had an aquarium.



What a trip. We came back exhausted but it was worth it. I love my students! They are great.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie! said...

The BEST trip ever?!? No way! Guam was the best trip ever!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Shio-chan said...

I meant, the Best trip EVER (with 381 teenage girls) :)

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home